[Pace] Two important weeks to support the Iraq War whistleblower

-------------------------- Messaggio originale ---------------------------
Oggetto: Two important weeks to support the Iraq War whistleblower
Da:      "Private Manning Support Network" <contact-bmsn at bradleymanning.org>
Data:    Mar, 15 Ottobre 2013 2:21 am
A:       a.marescotti at peacelink.it

This email newsletter was sent to you in graphical HTML format.
If you're seeing this version, your email program prefers plain text emails.
You can read the original version online:
http://ymlp320.net/z4Dayo

A month to make a difference
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser ( http://ymlp320.net/z4Dayo ).

TWO IMPORTANT WEEKS TO SUPPORT THE IRAQ WAR WHISTLEBLOWER

Some dates you just don't forget.

Sign the petition urging President Obama to pardon Chelsea Manning! (
http://www.privatemanning.org/pardonpetition )

Three years ago, in October of 2010, WikiLeaks shocked the world when
it published the “Iraq War Logs,” a comprehensive database which
contained thousands of records detailing abuse and corruption during
the war in Iraq. These documents were revealed by Chelsea Manning, who
has been sentenced to 35 years at a Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas, prison.
The documents that Chelsea Manning revealed via WikiLeaks uncovered
crimes that were committed by both the Iraqi government and the U.S.
military with the knowledge of top Pentagon officials.

They describe how thousands of innocent Iraqis were targeted for their
religious or political beliefs, then detained and tortured in prisons
operated by the Iraqi government. These same documents reveal acts in
which U.S. soldiers abused and killed Iraqi civilians, and have yet to
be held accountable. The documents even revealed to the public how
U.S. forces helped teach the Iraqi military interrogation methods that
have been banned by the UN as torture.

For the sake of the millions of civilians and the thousands of
soldiers who have suffered in this unnecessary war, we ask that you
remember the date that the public gained access to this information
and take action to support Chelsea and her goal of bringing
transparency to government. You can do this by contributing a letter
to the official application for clemency that is being sent to
Convening Authority Major General Jeffrey S. Buchanan. He is one of
two people with the power to free Private Manning now, along with
President Obama. There is precedent for convening authorities to
reduce or eliminate the sentences of soldiers in cases where they have
been convinced that the court martial did not deliver justice.

Given the numerous injustices in Private Manning’s case, we believe
that Major General Buchanan should demonstrate leniency: Manning was
imprisoned for three years before trial (including one year of
solitary confinement); motives of conscience were not considered as an
important factor by the judge; shockingly, the prosecution was even
allowed to change their charge sheet after presenting their case.

Please follow these guidelines (
http://www.privatemanning.org/featured/write-a-letter-supporting-pvt-mannings-request-for-clemency
) to write a letter. If you have already done so, please encourage at
least three of your friends to do the same.

For those looking to take further action, we encourage you to organize
a letter-writing party, which you can register on the Events Section (
https://orders.bradleymanning.org/support_events ) of our website. All
letters should be scanned electronically and PDF versions should be
sent to nathan at bradleymanning.org by November 1.

As we remember the tragedy of the Iraq War, in many ways made clearer
by the release of the war logs themselves, we must seize this
opportunity to show support for PVT Manning and her work to bring
much-needed transparency to international relations. Only through
working together with adequate information can people of the world
prevent history from repeating.

Thank you for your support.

HELP US CONTINUE TO COVER 100%
OF PVT. MANNING'S LEGAL FEES! DONATE TODAY. (
HTTP://WWW.BRADLEYMANNING.ORG/DONATE )

follow on Twitter ( https://twitter.com/savebradley )friend on
Facebook ( http://www.facebook.com/savebradley )forward to a friend (
http://ymlp320.net/forward.php?id=4Dayo&e=a.marescotti at peacelink.it )