Alhelsi, Baroud, Qumsiyeh, Amayreh, Halaka, Quader, Suleiman on PTT

Many important and fascinating new posts on PTT today!

We begin with Reham Alhelsi's account in commemoration of Palestinian Prisoners' Day.
http://palestinethinktank.com/2009/04/18/reham-alhelsi-palestinian-prisoners-imprisoned-for-their-love-of-freedom/

Although they have modern deadly weapons, are top recipients of military assistance, have their war crimes justified by a biased western media, and their interests protected by Zionist lobbies all over the world, the Zionists still fear us because they know we are the rightful owners of the land and that alone by existing we are defying them and their power and countering the myths and lies on which their state is built. Israeli Foreign Minister, Avigdor Lieberman said on the release of Palestinian prisoners: "It would be better to drown these prisoners, in the Dead Sea if possible, since that's the lowest point in the world." They not only deny us our rights and our freedom, they want to kill our spirit and see us dead. What they haven't understood by now is that the more they humiliate us, harass us, imprison us, take away our freedom from us, the more we value that freedom and the stronger becomes our belief in our just cause and our will to be free.

Ramzy Baroud writes about Non-Violent Resistance
http://palestinethinktank.com/2009/04/18/non-violence-in-palestine-timing-and-intentions/

When one speaks of or advocates non-violence, does he promote such an idea because he believes that historically it has been a more effective means of liberation, or is it purely because he thinks that it is a more self-respecting means of struggle?

Mazin Qumsiyeh writes on Palestinian Unity
http://palestinethinktank.com/2009/04/18/what-would-palestine-want-us-to-do/
Even without complying with International law and allowing the Palestinian refugees to return, there are 20-25% of the population in Israel who are not Jewish and are already targeted (Israel's foreign minister who came from abroad and has no connection to the land wants to get rid of the natives). If there is a definition of Chutzpah then this notion of recognizing a racist "Jewish state" as precondition even for talks is it. Unfortunately, this is only made possible by the lack of a Palestinian coherent strategy to face the regional and International challenges including outright attempts to liquidate the Palestinian cause. Instead, the struggle between Hamas and Fateh have now become a defacto struggle between leadership of two prisoner factions for leadership of prison blocks (Gaza and the five cantons in the West Bank) and the struggle for freedom has receded to lower priority if not outright ignored.

Khalid Amayreh writes about the only Nuclear power in the Middle East
http://palestinethinktank.com/2009/04/18/the-arab-world-and-israels-nuclear-arsenal/

Again we must pay more attention to what Israel does, not what Israel says. And what Israel does and has been doing shows that the criminal-minded state poses a real existential threat to every Arab and Muslim country in the Middle East and beyond. In 2006, Israel rained death on Lebanon by dropping 2-3 million cluster-bombs that killed and maimed (and will continue to kill and maim) Lebanese civilians, shepherds, farmers and peasants and families picnicking in the vicinity of their homes for many many years to come. And in Gaza recently, Israel rained death on an essentially prisoner population that, contrary to Israel's wishes, forgot to die quietly, and had to be incinerated and exterminated with White Phosphorus from high altitudes. The pornographic slaughter was being watched around the world and no Arab or Muslim country moved or even contemplated moving to rescue the helpless Palestinians who were paying the price of Muslim weakness. This begs the ultimate question, namely how Muslims ought to relate to this madness, this arrogance of power, this existential menace by a satanic state that thinks it has the right to inflict death and destruction on other peoples and other countries?

John Halaka's film about Rana Bishara, extraordinary Palestinian artist
http://palestinethinktank.com/2009/04/18/wounds-of-the-heart-an-artist-and-her-nation/

As a Palestinian citizen of Israel, Rana deeply understands how feelings of belonging and claims of ownership, irrevocably separate, yet permanently connect Arabs and Jews in their struggle for a land that is called Palestine by one group and Israel by the other. Each of the two cultures wants to hold on to every inch of land claimed by the other. The Palestinians strongly feel that they belong to the land, while the Israelis insist that the land belongs to them.
See the trailer on http://palestinethinktank.com/ptt-tv/

Ayman Quader writes about the Ideal Israeli Soldier
http://palestinethinktank.com/2009/04/17/ayman-quader-the-ideal-israeli-solider-killer-and-thief/

"The Israelis came and pointed their guns at us. They told us to get into the back room, where the shots had been fired, and to stay there, and they went on to the roof. They told us that if we moved, they would shoot us. They went upstairs, they stole my money, soiled the beds, left condoms everywhere. They fired holes in the bed - for what? While people were dying they were making love with each other in our bed, and then they destroyed it. All our money was in the mattress, everything for the whole family, and they took it all. Then after 3 days, they left. Just left."

Lina Suleiman writes about the World Water Forum, presenting much useful information, but sadly, showing how the voices of Palestinians had been marginalised in that setting.
http://palestinethinktank.com/2009/04/10/lina-suleiman-the-5th-world-water-forum-%e2%80%9cbridging-or-maintaining-divides%e2%80%9d/

Despite of the remarkable presence of Palestinian water professionals, Palestinian speakers found themselves constrained and not able to say much about the water situation crisis and the Israeli mass destruction of water infrastructure, the thievery of water and the denial of their water rights from both surface and the ground water sources. The constrains can either because their messages has to be in harmony with what the Palestinian Authority (PA) want them to say or that they must follow instructions of the session's chair persons or possibly because they are self-constrained. For them, it is a simple fact that if they were to convey a clear message about the crime polices on water, they would not be permitted by the Israelis, later on, to leave their occupied territories and attend the next water meeting event. Such decisions on the control of people's movement are claimed to be for security reasons, and are not questioned or challenged. Also noteworthy are the two Palestinian children from Gaza who were supposed to participate in the children forum but were not allowed to leave Gaza. No justifications for their actions were given by the Israelis.

plus much more on www.palestinethinktank.com